Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I decided that my inspiration as a songwriter is primarily made up of people, particularly females. Not just in a romantic dynamic but just the world of the female. Friends, family, lovers and passers-by.

I don't enjoy political songs. I don't enjoy stories much. I like focusing on the minutiae of human interactions and how people get by and for some reason the female consumes the bulk of my writing.

My most recent song is about a friend of mine. Its about her mess of a life. I know her well. She is a window to me and I get everything about why she has made the choices she has made. I see her clawing at her own mistakes reaching for the shore. She has had it tough and those hazy memories are affecting her deeply. Her friends, the men she dates... it all comes back to a tragic foundation completely out of her control and I don't judge her for it.

We never dated or were intimate. I wonder if we would have good relationship we have now if that were different. I wonder what she would think if she knew the song was about her.

But I'm proud of it and think i captured a part of my life and her life pretty well. It makes me want to write more about people I know or have met or think about. There are novels in each of our lives. We just trick ourselves into thinking we are boring.

No comments: