Thursday, October 18, 2012

Got a call from a guy I know through other people asking if I want to play guitar for a 4 song set of New Order covers. I love New Order so I agreed. I have two weeks to learn the songs and the show is on Halloween. Im actually going to be singing on Ceremony (great song) so I have some work to do between now and then.

I haven't played live in over a year. Its about time to get back up there again. Even if its for a few people I'm looking forward to it.

Aside from that I'm growing more and more restless for some reason. I just tried to explain it a bit but nothing sounded like a solid enough explanation so Ill just leave it at that.

Been watching Hulu's Criterion Collection which has something like 700+ old movies. Last night's film was a French Film (famous French director, Truffaut) called The Soft Skin. Simple premise. Guy has an affair but it gets complicated. Wife shoots guy in a cafe.

The one thing I noticed about these films I have watched is the dialog (subtitiles of course). The few movies I have seen so far all are heavily focused on dialog. In fact each of these films could be a stage play the dialog is so critical. They don't have much buildup or anticipation like modern American films but the acting is usually great, the film doesnt feel like a movie and most seem to end ambiguously. I actually like the two French films I've seen so far. I used to think all films made before the 70s were like the American black and white movies where the actors sound horribly fake and the music is cheesy. Not so with older foreign films. You actually have a hard time picking out the time-frame if it wasn't for the fashion, cars and telephones they use.

No comments: