Saturday, June 22, 2013

Bertrand Russell

I am reading The Conquest of Happiness. While dated, Russell nails a lot of important things that make the book worthy of reading. We'll get back to that in a second...

The other day I took two of my friends out on the sailboat and had an awesome day.

In the car on the way to the lake we began discussing stuff we normally talk about. One of the guys was born a Hindu and has a lot of out-of-the-box thinking that I find totally refreshing. He said something about how its important to find something bigger than yourself to believe in. Not necessarily a God (The other friend is an atheist) but something that helps you realize that the world is much bigger than you are.

Then today while reading this book Russell said this...

"The man who can center his thoughts and hopes upon something transcending self can find a certain peace in the ordinary troubles of life which is impossible to the pure egoist"

As I get older I find this is the crux of a lot of my issues. I am usually completely consumed with myself. My thoughts, my actions, what they mean and how they affect others. Its been that way since I was a child. It makes perfect sense that the more you try to dissect the complicated people we are, the more confounded and depressed you will become.


Sure its important to understand yourself but there has to be a line drawn as to what is important to focus on, and what is simply an overdeveloped ego bordering on narcissism.

Definitely glad to be considering these new integrations into my life.




No comments: