Thursday, January 10, 2008

Channelview Texas and the Destruction of My Childhood Home

On the very very East side of Houston is a little town called Channelview. Not much of a town really. In fact I believe it is only considered a school district on paper.

Regardless, this is where I grew up.

When my Grandmother and Grandfather settled there 60 years ago they moved into a small house and with a growing family decided to make it bigger. They then built this tiny house into a 2 story, 4 bedroom home (with their own hands) and raised 5 kids in it. This is also where I grew up years later. Its on a little hill about 2 acres along the banks of the San Jacinto River. They also built a boathouse at the base of the hill where they spent many summers skiing and having fun on the water.

The San Jacinto River empties into the Port of Houston. Over the last 20 years or so this body of water has become one of the biggest industrial portals feeding the nations unending need for plastics, chemicals and trade of all kinds. Refineries choke the surrounding countryside now and if you drive over the 610 bridge you will see something that resembles Mad Max or some other post apocalyptic movie as far as you can see. I'm not joking. It reaches the horizon.

I heard its a big target should there be a nuclear war. It might be a rumor but one I wouldn't doubt.

As a teenager I used to crawl outside my window and get on the highest part of my roof and either talk with friends or just sit by myself and watch across the river as the sky glowed orange with who knows what spilling out of those metal towers. It was strangely beautiful looking but ugly in its harsh reality. Sometimes at night I would wake up to loud explosions traveling across the river. They were so powerful that you could feel them in your chest. I frequently heard the faint sounds of huge refinery alarms going off. Things were going wrong somewhere a few miles away.

The river grew dirtier as I got older. It corroded the engines of our boat. Eventually I refused to even put my feet in. Once I saw the whole river full of human shit. And again I am not joking.

As I grew older I noticed that sections of the river had parked barges along the banks. Giant reddish rusty boats that just sat there most of the time. Sometimes they would disappear, but they always came back. And they began to grow in numbers and inch closer to our house.

Despite all that I loved the house. I cant possibly describe the years of memories that house has given me. The little tragedies and triumphs, friends, family get-together's, the room above the boathouse, my grandmother saving up and buying the family a jet ski, my uncle throwing little ecstatic 8 year old me high into the air over the water, hundreds of times. Creating obstacle courses for my cousins in the huge almost kingdom-like back yard of our childhood. The pets, the crazy neighbors. the barber shop down the street. The church. The wind blowing across the river on a beautiful day as I twisted myself around and around my rope swing tied to an old dead tree. A new smaller tree was growing inside it. I had forgotten that until just this moment. And that scares me because there are probably a million things I will forget.

This week I learned that most of our neighbors have accepted offers to sell their property to commercial interests. People are moving out. They cant take living beside this bullshit creeping up around them. I don't blame them. These companies take the properties along the river and turn them into little narrow ports for these barges, reducing what was once a well kept back yard into a muddy ditch to store planks of wood and pipe.

Then they knock on the door of our neighbors and offer money to expand their stake on the river. And after years of this creeping industrial cancer, they have made it to my Grandmother's house. My house.

It's hard to go back and see whats become of Channelview. It's pretty much falling apart. Most of the little town is now full of toothless idiots and businesses with boards on the windows and overgrown bushes. The house has seen better days as well. It sags in certain parts and my grandma is too old to keep it up.

But still Channelview is her home. Her church is there. She goes to the bank and the store during the day. She has friends still alive that she talks on the phone with and visits every now and then. Out of all of my family I know she is the one who loves that house the most. But this week I learned that she is considering accepting an offer (like most of her neighbors have done) and selling the house to move into a smaller one somewhere in town, away from the river and the mess it has become.

And that house and boathouse will be bulldozed to the ground like all the rest, so they can park more of their rusty barges along the banks.

I know that my memories are what is important in all this. They cant take that away. I told my Grandma the other day as she was choking back tears that the house is just brick and wood and the important part is inside us. But still I am going to go home soon, take about 1000 pictures of every nook and cranny and then be far away as possible when its sold and destroyed.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you Bruce for writing this for all of us. Being your aunt and older, I remember laying on the pier in the moonlight and watching the gars surface and roll with their white tummies glowing. The San Jacinto monument would send its reflections across the river and was beautiful. I thought my finest thoughts high up in a ancient huge cedar tree that I named Vance. The backyard, the pier, and the crabbing when the river was clear of pollution all were in a past that preceded you. It was a fine place to grow in all ways. Memories are important and I am glad you are going down to make a picture book filled with captions as well. You need one and so does mom (grandma). I love you,
Mollie

Michelle said...

I wanted mom to see that too- so she wrote you a comment. I dont know what to say. I can't tell you how many summers I spent there that made up for school years of being picked on and made fun of... my times there with you and Jared were some of the best. Like hide and go seek in the dark in grandmas bed room, that time you put marbles on the floor and we had to 1)jump off the bed without landing on them (that hurt really bad, btw :)) and 2) you put us in that cardboard box and we had to row across the front room with grandpa's cane, operation catch baby, hiding in the carport and watching people stop for those wrapped presents we used to make, that time on the jet ski where you were trying to make me fall off- and I finally did, sitting on the boathouse porch and shooting at things with grandpa and tom...

Yeah- I think that you going to take pictures down there is an awesome idea- I just wish we had taken more growing up.

Love.

Michelle said...

ohhhhh- and going down the stairs in that refrigerator box or on your mattress... when bob used to stand at the top and throw things at us... breakfast EVERY morning where grandma would do her whistle and grandpa would eat a bowl of all the different cereals mixed together afterwards... your crazy collection of those little cars...

- said...

Yes Please keep those memories coming. If you have one post it here. There is 60 years worth to talk about.

- said...

PS I just made this so anyone can comment, not just people with google accounts.

- said...

here is what my mom has to say...

I remember going out on the boat and finding beautiful spots somewhere along the banks of the San Jacinto river and eating our picnic lunches, and swimming. I was very young and my sister and brothers would swim with me. The water was so clear that I could see my feet standing on the sandy bottom. Of course I was little and so I didn't have far to look...but I could see my tiny feet...

Now, the river bottom is sludge (oil and shit). Grandpa used to put the boys on his back and walk to the island to pick out a Christmas tree. The island used to
be a paradise... before they sprayed Agent Orange on it and killed all the trees and wildlife. The island started sinking after that.

When I was 15 or so, I went with Bob and a friend in the canoe to the island and found some square nails that were used to build a fort during the battle at San Jacinto during the 1800's. I have no idea where I put the nails. There was still one wall intact on the far side of the island. This place has always been my home base, my foundation, and my memories will always remain.

Anonymous said...

That's so sad!

- said...

I hope Kevin doesnt mind me posting this....its pretty hilarious

-waking up around four or five in the morning and going downstairs to get a drink of water and hearing Gaga (great grandmother) moaning from that little room downstairs, freaking the hell out of me so that i did not want to go back down there.

-throwing a quarter at your head and you jumping out of the way and knocking your tooth out (i still feel bad about that)

-all the times we left and went to play pool at slick willies

-the first time we went on the jetski and we went all the way and parked it on this little beach and it was a gorgeous day and we went back to fuel it up at that dump of a gas station and there was this she-man in a dress and a wig playing pool.

-trying to talk to your grandfather, knowing he couldn't hear me, so i spoke very loud, only for him to tell me to stop yelling at him

-me, you and craig practicing under the name "snappy tom" and trying to start our own band

-hanging out in that other room upstairs listening to Everclear and other assorted bands

-getting in your car as fast as we could because some cat took a heater on the windshield of your car and so we drove as fast we could to make it fly off and it finally did when we hit 60

-staying up late watching conan o'brien or seeing the spice girls and emimen on late night mtv

-eating breakfast around your table with your family, always treating me as if i was one of your family members

-the night you got the call from loreece that she had kissed derek gosney and how you seemed to take it so well

-petting baby and realizing now my hand had acquired a stench i could never scrub off

i know that once you and i sit down and pull our collective minds together, we'll be able to come up with so much shit one of us forgot. i'm sorry about your house. it's not easy losing the place you grew up. it's not easy losing anything. but hopefully these memories and ones of your own will remind you what a special it was. for you, for your family, for me and everyone else who was blessed to have entered its door.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but cry reading all of this and knowing how much this home has meant to so many people including myself. I just hope we can all cherish these memories that we all have and appreciate them for what they were. I just wanted to share a few of the memories that stick out most in my mind and I'm sure Bruce will remember most of them as well. Here goes:
-Playing headshot at the top of the stairs with Bob.
-Moccasin baseball.
-Jumping into the neighbors’ yard and running past them without them seeing us.
-Fireworks off the top of the roof.
-Me reading Wolverine comics to Bruce.
-Getting twisted in that rope swing and loosing my pants and Bruce laughing so hard he couldn't help me.
-All of those summer days jet skiing on the river.
-Looking at Bruce’s’ new shoes all day.
-Finally being able to jump and touch that eagle in the kitchen.
-And of course Operation Trap Baby.

And I know there are a million more memories we need to get together and share very soon. This home has raised more than our parents, it raised all of us as well. Thank you Bruce for doing this. I love you all so much.
- Jared