Saturday, May 28, 2011

drought

I went over a year, closer to two without writing much of anything. But the last couple months have been a rebirth of sorts for me. I have new ambitions (quieter ones).

However this album is still a top priority. I've put 3 years of my life into it. Thats no small thing. We have come so far. Our live shows, when we are in the zone, are pretty damn good. We made it on a respected radio show, multiple weeks in a row. We were given props in the Chronicle as a band to watch in 2010.

But I feel a chapter closing. Dan's going to grad school. Not sure about our future. The album might do well. It might not. If it does well then we will try to make it work. If it doesnt, Im not afraid.

I feel like I'm just getting started in my songwriting. I wrote something the other day that I am very proud of. One of my best. Maybe its age. Maybe its the breakup. Maybe its a perfect combination of feeling strong emotions again and having a bunch of dusty writings waiting for some sort of structure. But its happening. And I'm very satisfied with the creative aspect of my life right now and I want to actually do something with it.

Not sure if I want to start a whole new project or if I want to just do it myself and have it be a drum-less, bass-less thing ala Nilsson. Just guitar, harmonies and a pinch of keyboards.

If I do this, the songwriting and vocals have to be there. I think I can do it. And if I continue the trend I'm on I will have a decent amount of songs to work with.

No comments: