Sunday, August 16, 2009

displaced

done. rented a uhaul...loaded everything up and then unloaded it again. With boxes strewn about and my new room a wreck, I begin to sort through my shit and settle in. I've spent a large part of this weekend sweating profusely.

I realized 30-40% of what I own can be thrown away. This leaves me with even fewer things that I can call my own. I trashed a lot but still much more to toss out. My problem is I save everything and have no clue why.

I feel displaced and 100% uprooted. I realize so much of sanity is simply familiarity. But everything has been turned upside down. I have a roommate for the first time in nearly a decade, less space than I'm used to (and even less than I expected... should have measured the room better) and a lot of dangling todo's just sitting on my shoulders. Big, annoying, todos that I was never very good at getting around to but will have to very soon.

I actually hadn't put much thought into all the ramifications of this decision but they are certainly becoming clear now. I don't regret it yet but saving money will come with a price. This is just the kind of change I need to motivate me to start working towards something more for myself.

I cleaned the old apartment nicely and will do a walk through with the management tomorrow morning. I went to bed at 9:30 last night and will probably do it again tonight.

But man I feel really really weird.

2 comments:

That Birdhouse said...

we keep saying moving sucks. but's more than just putting stuff in boxes and moving them from location a to location b. it's the reevaluation of your life. to look through your possessions and realize that most have no use or certain things that used to mean so much, mean nothing now. and you start to wonder, what mean's anything to me now? and will it mean something in another five years?

- said...

exactly. I threw away bags of crap I dont need and still have a garage full of boxes that I am debating of just trashing entirely. When I get another apartment in a few months its going to be practically empty. I cant tell if that is an accomplishment or a defeat.