Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mr. Wrinkles



On my trip to Barcelona I had the fortunate opportunity to meet the coolest dog in the universe. While walking back from dinner one late afternoon, we came to a corner where some guys were standing around and hanging out enjoying the night air (It’s something Spanish people seem to like to do and I really appreciated that about them).

Well, standing beside these guys was a little dog that seemed very focused on what was going on up the street. He had a stance of poised readiness and stood motionless staring straight ahead. I stopped to pet him and he sort of ducked from my attempt, only to return back to his watchful gaze. The dog seemed to have an almost erudite quality about him. Almost as if he was above acting in typical, slobbering dog fashion. He had a goal...Looking out for someone or something coming up the road.

This little dog completely captured my imagination. What was his deal? Why did I want to stick his cute little head in my mouth? He was almost snobby in a way but I instantly fell in love. I quickly named him Mr. Wrinkles. His real name was “little wrinkles” in Spanish but Mr. Wrinkles seemed more apt for such a debonair little guy.

Every day I would come back to the same street and I ran into him several times. I wanted to take a picture but I was embarrassed to ask the owners, being the big tough looking gentlemen that they were. Every time I saw Mr. Wrinkles, he was doing the same thing. Waiting. He became a running joke of my trip. “I wonder if Mr. Wrinkles read the paper today.” “Maybe he knows a nice restaurant we can go to for dinner”

My final day there I glanced up the road near Marta’s flat and there he was again. Same corner. Same stance. I grabbed my camera and ran up the street. After realizing I might never see him again, I got the nerve to ask for a picture from his owner. The guys were cool about it and made some joke about me giving them money for it. So I snapped this photo of Mr. Wrinkles. I reached down and got a good pet out of him but he still didn't seem too interested.

It turns out he was a she and they were planning on breeding her soon. Several little Mr. Wrinkles’ running around. Or should I say waiting for something important. I hope she's doing okay.

No comments: