Friday, December 14, 2007

nasty nasty friday night

rather than go out, i think Ill stay in and write to myself.

Met with Daniel for about 5 minutes because I lost my ipod in our practice room somewhere and I reallllly want to hear some tracks from it right about now. Broken Social Scene will have to do for now. Could be worse.
The bassist search is going to be difficult. I might have to scrape a warm body from the streets of Austin and say put your fingers here. now pluck the strings like this. Im not freaking out yet. The show is a month away.

Rather than be eloquent I think Ill let Nada Surf do it for me. Yes the same Nada Surf that had an MTV hit back in my high school days. If you recall Popular than you are familiar with Nada Surf but way the hell off. The album Let Go is just damn amazing and this is from the final track on the album. Steal it if you have to but listen to it. Then go to their show to make up for slightly ripping them off.

Damn I love this song. Funny story. I met the lead singer accidently during SXSW one year. I didn’t even know it was him. When I found out I just sort of said “Hey man Im a fan. Really love Paper Boats.” He said “Thanks man. It was fun to record. The ending part that sounds like a piano is actually a very rare stringed instrument. Its huge.” I said “Cool.” He then said “well nice to meet you” and walked off. It was very anticlimactic. But for some reason it was exactly how I would have wanted it to be.

Paper Boats

sit on a train, reading a book
same damn planet every time i look
try to relax and slow my heartbeat
only works when i’m dead asleep
been thinking and drinking all over the town
must be gearing up for some kind of melt-down

all i am is a body floating down-wind

”what’s wrong?”
”nothing”
”are you sure nothing’s wrong?”
”yeah”
”but you’re sad about something?”
”yeah.”
”so tell me what.”
”i don’t know.
i can’t tell you”

all i am is a body floating down-wind

as the express train passes the local
it moves by just like a paper boat
although it weighs a million pounds
i swear it almost seems to float

and as we pass by each other
our heads all full of bother
we can’t look, we can’t stop
we can’t think, we can’t stop
because we’re stuck in our own paths
and it’s the way it always lasts
and i need something more from you

No comments: