Thursday, September 25, 2008

ignoring people

I saw this girl I used to work with in the convenience store across town today. I had to go to round rock and pay a ticket.

She was younger (adorable) and we had a good connection insofar as a work relationship goes. Yet I am certain she noticed me today and completely pretended she didn't see me.

She hovered in the same area for too long as I paid and kept her gaze in one place as I walked out. You can always tell that sort of thing, like a sixth sense.

Of course I have been guilty of that as well, which is why it didn't really hurt my feelings. But it got me thinking, why we do that? Especially people we got along with.

It's like seeing someone out of the social context we knew weirds us out. Maybe its just that we don't want to expend the energy in small talk. Whatever it is, its always has more to do with me and never the other person.

I tell myself she felt like she looked like crap and didn't want me to see her that way. And that is obviously the situation... because I say it is. =)

One time I saw a guy I see practically every other weekend out in Austin. He was beside me in his car during traffic. I looked over and noticed him and could tell that he was trying hard to appear casually looking forward or changing the radio, looking to the right excessively etc. (I have done that to people and I know whoever reads this has too)

The funny thing was we were constantly pulling up beside each other as the flow of each lane shifted with traffic. It must have been excruciating for him to keep pretending he didn't see me. I found the whole thing absurd and very very funny.

He texted me the next day and asked if I have any shows coming up. People are weird.

No comments: