Sunday, June 19, 2011

creature of habit

Just realized Im like my grandfather in a lot of ways. He was a creature of habit who always ordered the same things from restaurants. I would make fun of him for this.

But I just realized I watch the same movies over and over again. The same bands. The same meals cooked at home. Sure I branch out a little but I am more a creature of habit than I realize. I even have a similar goofy sense of humor like my grandfather sometimes. Very weird.

I have to make sure I dont let things slip by me. I have to make an active effort to break out of my comfort zone.

But he was a good guy. I wish I had some pictures of him somewhere but they are with my grandmother. Very soft spoken. I think he could probably count the number of cocktails he consumed in his life. Never smoked a single cigarette. This is where we differ. I need to slow my drinking and smoking down.

I also sometimes find myself holding back affection like he did and that is bad. That's the stuff that will get ya. But as usual my own hyper self awareness will remind me to work on it.

Weird I was just thinking this on fathers day. He was very much a father figure in my life. Albeit a fairly distant one. Still he was kind and had the best intentions. I just think he was locked up emotionally for some reason. And he was too closed lipped to discuss his childhood so who knows what it was like. Mysterious. Analytical. Completely whipped by my grandmother. Soft spoken. Stable. Odd. Funny. A true character.

No comments: