Sunday, June 26, 2011

Family Weekend (with cops)

So a few posts back I promised big changes were coming. They are here.

The woman we trusted to take care of my grandmother stole $12K from her over the course of a few months. I talked about this before but for some reason she was never kicked out fully. A family meeting was held awhile back with no action taken. Partially because there wasnt a decent investigation into the finances and we were not fully aware how much she actually took.

Since then a lot has gone down. I and my uncle have become my grandmothers power of attorney and we got to see her credit card records. My uncles wife put in countless hours breaking down the checking account.

Long story short, she presented the family one of the most detailed investigations into this woman and my grandmothers finances. She proved to everyone Saturday afternoon that yes, 12K was stolen from my grandmother from this woman and her family. examples: 72 pay per view movies rented in one month for a total of something like $300. Daily packs of cigarettes bought with my grandmothers gas card. Checks written to this woman for "groceries" for $200. 4 and 5 times per month. She was forging checks and my grandmother was clueless.

Everyone stared at the handouts with their jaws open. That day the family in a completely half organized way, swooped in to get grandma to "take her out to eat". Team B swooped in and told the caregiver her time was up. She had 10 minutes to get out. It was tense. Cops were called by both parties. It turned into a bit of a standoff at one point. The woman completely denies the situation. Everything was captured on video in case it got ugly.

We told my grandmother that the woman's health was too bad for her to continue taking care of her, to keep from traumatizing her. The sad thing was we realized recently she had been doing very little to take care of her. Neglect and out right fraud. Adult Protective Services is actually conducting their own full investigation. This may turn out to be a felony case. We wish shame and criminal charges on this woman for what she did.

The next day we packed up a Uhaul full of my grandmothers essentials and she is temporarily moving to Dallas with my aunt. Then we will decide where she goes from there and get the rest of her stuff.

We have checked into assisted living facilities. Considered renting her a house in Wimberly closer to my uncle. Lots of ideas. Decisions will be made in the coming month.

My poor grandmother has dealt with a very negative and neglectful woman for far too long. She was an awful person. The family failed in a lot of ways.

Lots of loose ends that the family has to come together on. We did well this weekend. It felt much longer than a day and a half. Im back in Austin just waking up from a crazy night of no sleep. As soon as I hit Austin again I went out and danced and drank and snuck into a swimming pool with a gal I just met. Had to shake off the heavy weekend of adulthood by being completely reckless. It was just what I needed.

No comments: