Wednesday, July 13, 2011

281-452-2848

From the old rotary phone we used to use, to the transfer to the rent house where my grandmother lived up until this month, this phone number was the most familiar 10 numbers of my life. At least 50 years old. Its etched into my brain. I've dialed it countless times. And its done now. I just called it and its just that annoying sound and a recorded message of that woman's voice that sounds like the 1950s.

The house. The phone number. The town. The only thing remaining is an old piano that my grandmother promised to give to me. But its huge. Must be 1000 pounds. Its sitting in an empty rent-house until we figure out what we are going to do with it. I'm considering giving it away to a church. Or possibly selling it. Its a beautiful piano. Not worth much but it was in my house my entire life. Original ivory keys.

If I do make that decision to get rid of it somehow I may have to come down 1 last time to that city to help get it loaded. But then I cant see a reason to ever come back. The only remaining friend I have there would easily meet me in the middle of Houston somewhere rather than have me drive another 30 minutes. So that pretty much seals the deal.

Part of me wants to keep it but I don't have room here in Austin. And it will cost me a lot to store it. I don't know what Im going to do.

But I wonder if that phone number will be transferred to anyone. I think it should be permanently retired but I don't get to make that decision. Seriously that number is ancient.

2 comments:

That Birdhouse said...

funny. had the same reaction when mom moved and we lost the 281-452-6033 number. i can't tell you how many times i had to give that number or wrote it down or called it. the number wasn't 50, but it was 30 years old. i could not tell you another phone number stored in my head except demitria's cell phone and mattress mac's number because of his commerical. 694-5570. it was before mandatory area codes.

- said...

I too remember mattress mac's number! I remember prank calling it when I was a kid. Why I thought that was so cool and funny is a mystery to me now.