Thursday, August 7, 2008

feast or famine

the dating world is such a strange and frustrating beast.

I find that I am either swimming in options or crawling alone in the Sahara chasing mirages.

Theres something almost metaphysical about it too. Like everything else I experience, I notice a sort of hidden world behind things and sometimes the stars align and I am mr. mojo. I go out and notice women responding to me differently. New girls return my calls and meet up with me. Sex comes along and I'm not even trying.

Then you have moments where its nothing but unreturned phone calls and not a glance for weeks. Promising leads crumble for no reason at all. A circle of negative self esteem begins again.

The truth is women should have absolutely 0 effect on my feelings of worth but thousands of years of genetics are against me. We are all here because our forefathers and mothers were the ones who did not get weeded out of existence due to natural selection. The strong survived, got it on and here you stand.

I've read that rejection affects the same areas of the brain as physical pain. It makes sense. Thousands of years ago, rejection from your tribe meant your genes stopped with you. So the male develops a hypersensitivity to not be rejected. It hurts when it happens. Literally.

Of course tribes are long gone and the pool has grown considerably but I don't think our brains have moved beyond the stone age. This is a topic I could wax on about for days.

In terms of modern dating I see it like this. Lets take 2 relatively attractive young people, one man and one woman. (And of course I am speaking in generalizations)

1. The woman's job is sifting through her available options that she is barraged with.
2. The man's job is lead generation.

Hot women wait. Being alone is something that just doesn't happen to them often. Men, assuming they are not famous, crazy rich or brad pitt good looking have to play a numbers game. Its definitely how I have to approach things. I get phone numbers like nobodies business.

If I have 10 numbers in my phone 6 will not respond. 2 will text but never meet up. 2 will probably meet me, I might get a kiss out of them but the second date usually comes down to that 1 woman left. So the secret for success in the heterosexual dating realm if you are a man is simply put your ego and genetics aside and work the numbers.

A dirty little beast indeed.

No comments: