Monday, October 20, 2008

Harold Maker

I was just thinking about my grandpa. Right around the time of his passing he put up a hummingbird feeder. I just felt like writing something for him today.

hummingbird

its been a week and he hasn't shown
but i can wait a little more
these lazy days just move so slow
beside the water by the shore

when I was young I had a gun
and trigger happy hands
conquests of the innocent
trying to be a man

I built this house into a home
my wife beside me with a nail
We worked until the sun went down
5 children made the sale

it wasn't long before it came
my cells just couldn't win
you cant ignore this kind of thing
you cant forget there is an end

But I have some time to spare
and the weather is so nice
I don't regret the things I've done
you cant reason with a child

these memories now make my day
under this October sun
Waiting for the hummingbird
I've put away the gun

1 comment:

That Birdhouse said...

very nice sentiment. is the birdfeeder still up at the house?