Saturday, August 25, 2012

Took the boat out two days in a row. The first day was flawless. Me and 3 others wakeboarding, swimming, cruising, listening to the radio... awesome.

Took the boat out yesterday with my mom and a friend. The wind threw me off and I crunched the boat up against the dock, screwing up a panel of it. Luckily I purchased the insurance so the most I will pay is $200 for what might be a $1000-1500 repair job, but I was completely deflated by the experience. Embarrassed. Pissed at myself. Sad I was going to make the staff have to fix it. I was torn between the emotions of "This is what happens with a big commercial business like this... boats get bumped up... that's why they offer the insurance" to "You idiot, you failed as an adult for not controlling the boat right. They are going to totally be wary of you"

So I called them immediately and let them know. They were very polite and told me to enjoy my day, that they have 200 members and 40 boats. This kind of thing happens and take this for a learning experience. (I know right?)

I got back at the end of the day and the dock guys told me it was a bad day for several people due to the wind. This helped me somewhat. But not much. I'm pretty sure my damage was the worst of what possibly happened. I still get pangs of embarrassment thinking about watching that panel bend in with that crunch sound, and looking totally inexperienced as I lost control and others sat and watched me bumble my way out of it. Ugh. I will know the damage to the boat shortly. And if my contract holds up and I am understanding things correctly, I will only owe $200. Fingers crossed there isnt some loophole.

UPDATE: 9-20

It only cost me $200. But as luck would have it I ran into one of the owners in line at HEB. He was not happy with me. I have not been back. Everyone is telling me to suck it up and go back. I need to. But my shame and fear is gripping my balls like a vice. Yet I am paying monthly so time to suck it up and get back out there.

No comments: