Tuesday, June 17, 2008

about to start recording

so Daniel and I met with Daniel (another one) from Oh No! Oh My! last night to talk about beginning the recording process.

His house is just a big place to store musical equipment, its amazing. They have songs on commercials, behind Steve Jobs when he gave the apple keynote speech in 2007, etc etc etc so its amazing to see a 22 year old guy with no day job. They make enough money as a band to live on and its pretty inspiring.

They are not signed to a label so all that money is theirs to keep. I joke with the guys that a label is so 1996, but its more than just funny. Today's technology allows bands to do everything themselves. I'm sure there are perks to having a major label but it is no longer a necessity. This is seriously a BRAND NEW development in the music industry. Yes folks like Ani Defranco have been doing it for years but it is no longer a feat of near-impossibility. Its growing more commonplace every day and is scaring the shit out of record labels. We're talking a paradigm shift involving massive layoffs and such.

Still do yourselves a favor and DO NOT turn on the radio.

So we're going to be working with Daniel to get 5 songs knocked out as professionally as we can. The big show on the 27th will give him an idea of our sound and I guess we will go from there. I have no clue what to expect. All I know is, the process will either excite or depress the hell out of me. I want the end result to ROCK.

No comments: