Friday, September 9, 2011

Lets make sure no one ever reads this blog again.

Love... music... cats... meh. Lets get get crotchety.

I've been keeping up with politics more than ever.

And while I truly believe the highest form of knowledge is the understanding you know next to nothing about anything, I still have began forming opinions about the society I live in and the inner workings of it... and my feelings about the folks who attempt to run it. And now, the media outlets that are responsible for disseminating the information.

I don't trust the media anymore. Of course I always knew not to, but lately it feels that are just as biased and unethical as the politicians.

The recent debates stand out to me as perfect evidence of this. We are facing one of the most intense economic situations this country has ever faced. More now than ever we need REAL conversations about whats to be done.

Yet the debates were a thinly veiled attempt to pit Romney and Perry against each other. It was a disgrace and proof that the media has little concern about finding answers to our problems but rather treat the situation as if it were a WWF match.

It feels as if everyone up there is a shell of a person with fake tans and nice white teeth saying well rehearsed rhetoric they think the people want to hear. And behind the scenes were the moderators, cleverly asking all the wrong questions and shooting for drama rather than actual discourse.

And you-know-who got about 3 questions out of the entire 2 hour debate. What a joke. What a sad and eye opening joke. The one guy who has written BOOKS about the economy doesn't get a single question thrown his way.

I think the main problem is that the average person has little to no knowledge of how our economy works. Fractional reserve lending, the Fed and other topics are hazy topics for most people.

Example: the Fed is not a true govt entity. They are a private company. The same people who fucking RUN our economy have an interest in making profits for themselves. Bankers control our economy. Yet the populace sees Bernanke on the cover of Time and think he must be a great guy doing all that good money stuff for us busy Americans.

I have a friend who fancies himself a political guy and he was shocked when I informed him we are a fiat economy with nothing backing our currency. He argued with me at first but realized I was certain. Its not his fault but its a perfect example of whats going on. I lent him End the Fed and hes actually reading it so I am happy for that. (and I admit, I need to have a solid counterargument to the book because I am pretty biased)

You cant care enough about a topic you know little to nothing about. And sadly this is a huge chunk of Americans. They hear we are in trouble but don't exactly understand why. There is no historical context, no financial awareness and little desire to learn.

And if and when shit hits the fan we will be scrambling to ask ourselves why. Why is a loaf of bread suddenly $150. What happened? Why did every country just bail on the dollar? What happened to the middle class? Only then will we as a country start to try to sort things out in a real way.

Im not on a high horse because I only recently began trying to cure my ignorance. And I admittedly know little. But I know more than most. And I have to sit back and watch the media force feed us who the winning candidates are and NONE of the deemed frontrunners know a thing about it. And no one is going to school us in time to make a change.

For the first time it actually seems as if the govt is no more educated and prepared to handle our situation as the guy sitting next to me in this coffee shop. And the outlets that are supposed to make us aware of this travesty have their own agendas as well.

Yeah I need to get laid or something.

1 comment:

That Birdhouse said...

welcome to the club. we're a somewhat depressed, low-key group. our mission statement goes, "don't save. don't invest. don't do anything except drink coffee, listen to music and wait for evening because only the night brings calm." the more you read, the more you get informed, the more you realize you are alone on a raft in a sea of absolute destructive ridiculousness.