Monday, April 2, 2012

3ds is in the can.

Interesting weekend with 40 or so very smart people. I am used to being in the top tier of intelligence in most places I go (at least I FEEL that way).

But this weekend was an exception. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was probably near the bottom of the intelligence spectrum with these people (at least I FELT that way).

Of course intelligence is hard to pin down yada yada but it was great to be around such motivated, hard working and intelligent people. The ideas pitched and worked on didn't really thrill me so i wasn't as motivated as I should have been. However, one group got an offer for funding before the event was over. It was for an iphone app that finds open restaurants near you at any time of the night. They got something like 50-200K in potential funding to flesh the product out.

I felt out of place in this group because my experience has to do with a different kind of marketing than these people were familiar with so I had a hard time finding a place for my ideas. But the experience was worth it in that I now have a huge group of people I can contact that can bang out code for things like iphone apps and software programs I may envision in the future.

As usual my biggest interest was in the social nuances of my surroundings. Sometimes my focus is a challenge because I turn my attention to the energies and tiny little characterizations of the people around me. This is hard to explain but a real thing for me that sometimes affects my ability to be present in a moment. People watching on steroids.

Its the same thing with movies for me. Often I lose the plot because I begin to focus on the acting and behind the scenes information rather than allowing myself to become engaged in the story.

Tangent... anyway it was a great experience.

No comments: